Monday, November 29, 2004

The HYD 10K Run

"T-Shirt", and that was the first catch. Coincidentally, before hearing about the 10K run, I was discussing with friends about not having a T-shirt with the company logo and name. And the same afternoon, they announce about a marathon run and a T-shirt as a compliment. The T-shirt was really nice and the Juno name on it made it more dear to me.

When I received the kit, it was on the condition that I should turn up for the run on Sunday, the 28th Nov about 7am, without fail. I was wondering, why should I be warned like that - Kishore made it clear: "usually people go to bed late on Saturdays and no one knows what a Sunday 7am looks like". Well, nearly 15000 Hyderabadis were there today to see what it looked like, when I went to Necklace Road in the morning. School children and girls were there all around the place and I was sure that it is going to be a visual treat :-).

There was an initial warm up session, but I was busy looking for some pinning material to pin the number "11933" upon my T-shirt. When I was done, YSR, the CM of AP, has arrived and he flagged off the run. Balloons flying and gun shots marked the start.

To recall, I met Deepak Bhambwani, Vijay, Phalgun, AmitK, AmitD, Aadithya, Abhijeets, Sripal, Paddu, Ashwin, Chandy, Naresh, Arun, Harini, Bala, Anbu, Ganesh, Vikki, Sai, Ramesh, Harini(Juno) and half a dozen CRM folks, whose names I dont know.

Coming to the run, I had plans of looking at it as a race and trying to emerge as a victor. But I felt that it will be bad to leave friends apart and run alone. No one had the mood of a race and so I gave up that idea.

Well, there was nothing pushing you to your limits in this run. It was a mild challenge and everyone broke it. The mildness was due to the fact that the target was always in your sight. Necklace road is visible from Lumbini park, Tank Bund, Sanjeevaiah park or the Rock gardens - u can say to urself that, it is there nearby and it is approaching - so run baby run...

A couple of babies were trolleyed by their parents, who were partially walking and partially running. One of the baby was a real doll-look. One of the good things about the Run is seeing that baby. So cute!

Arun was with me all the time, cracking jokes and singing, as we passed by some cool chicks. We were joined and left by DPAmit, Aadithya and Vikki. I dint take much water or glucose en route.

I expected a breathing difficulty towards the end, like the one I encountered in the Army marathon in my first year NCC camp. But no difficulty was there waiting for me. It was a smooth run. In the army run, as I was gaining distance, some feeling was starting from my neck and building upwards towards my face, eyes and forehead and finally brain...breathing became difficult and visibility poor. Still I told myself that "the gate is getting closer by every step" and finally finished fourth. I think Sollamuthu won the race. I remember him looking like a one fresh out of the bath tub, even after the race, while we others were panting and gasping and doing all sort of things, and many others yet to cross half the length.

At times press persons were crossing with cameras and people ran after them, with a hope of getting videographed! I missed the press vehicle everytime!

When we were at the 9th km, Arun asked me if we can get to some serious running. I dont know what I replied to him, but all I know is that, I was madly running. Faster and still faster. The last one km was covered in no time and my legs were telling me that, if you did stop anywhere then we would cooperate no more. I never gave them a deceleration. I crossed the line in full speed, only to stop before Mr. Krishna of Microsoft, who has finished ahead of most people. He recognised me and told me that he was waiting for his kids!

Just as I stood there relaxing, Anand Kumar Karthik(Juno) passed by in his bike. He stopped me as I waved at him, and asked me if I saw any Juno guy. Someone approached me from behind and asked me something, which I comprehended as "Could u drop me at the secretariat?". Man, it was a beauty. Wow! But, how can I drop her, without a vehicle? I cud have offered to carry her, had it been some other time; I was looking for someone to carry me! I jus' delegated it to Karthik, who was generous to help her! I regretted for not owning a vehicle. Jus' for a minute!

Cool! It was not very cold the prev night, and the temperature was tailor made for the run. Harini felt that the sun is going to be heavy on the runners. Luckily it was not so. Thanks to the pics by Naresh and Arun. As usual I forgot to take my camera! Hope mom will excuse!

This is my third long distance run, if I dont take into account those expeditions to Kanuvai and Tholampalayam by foot. The first one was at the army camp, and the second was during the Anna Univ 25th year celeb, from Univ to Marina Beach.

This time it is a different mood and different people altogether. For a just cause(s) - as YSR said - fun, health and charity. Let the purposes be met. Anyway, I got my T-shirt and also did justice to its price.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now i know what happened to the pot.
U broke it with all this hyper activity?!!
Cool man..!

I'm outta breath now.. just like murugu..

Ur blogs are huge.. I chose to read one of the smaller ones and that has left me gasping for Air!
One request: From what i read, i dont want u any where near me in that T-shirt of yours!