Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Forest. Friends. Fun.

The trip to Bandipur last weekend is very special to me in many a sense.

First, it is a mini get together of my batch - of the 125, 19 of us were there - 1 in every 6 - and that too after 3.5 years and that too not a few hours, but for 2 whole days! (The 20th member of the trip was our evergreen "Jith" Kumaran!)

Second, the excitement of the jungle safari that we undertook - right through the abode of the great animal species of Bandipur - watching them in their natural state of living. We also had a documentary about the state of the animals in the sanctuary, the challenges they face and their life styles across seasons. For me it was like a reminder about how wild the world is and how every species accept it gracefully. Only humans whine!

Third, the trip was planned as a gift for my birthday. The mail thread started like this: "Bunti's BDay Gift" - Bandipur Trip :-)

Fourth, the excitement of going through my favourite 4-laned Bangalore-Mysore SH17.

Fifth, the pampering accomodation at the KSTDC Bandipur Safari Lodge - something which I did not expect at all (naturally I keep my expectations low, when Govt services are involved). The safari package, the cottages, themed interiors, great food, professional staff, punctual guides, natural environment and clean air were all worth the 2.2K that we paid per person per night.

I have to mention the interiors of the cottages here - each room had an animal as the central object. There was a huge painting of the animal on the wall behind the bed - it was a real painting done by a local lady - not a wallpaper. The curtains, bed spreads and the mats also had some resemblance or the other of the same animal. Like my room's tiger paw curtains and mats, tiger striped bedspreads. Yes, I stayed in the Tiger Room in the Tiger Country!!!


We played cricket and frisbee. We went for an unguided trek, climbing a steep hill through the bushes with atmost difficulty. But once reaching the top we found that there was a simple, well laid route, just a few metres away, but hidden in plain sight. Most of us felt good about not discovering it in the first place :)

Additionally, I got to learn Salsa from my Guru, Sai - who was a surprise member of the trip.

Overall it was a fantastic break from the routine.

3 comments:

Poornima Ravi said...

where was I??!!!Grrr...

Fathima Sagar said...

"Yes, I stayed in the Tiger Room in the Tiger Country!!! " - Hmmmm..... U shud have taken a foto with a real Tiger - that wud have been something great!

Vinesh said...

nice birthday gift :-)

bandipur is a place i've always wanted to go to..